Tonight’s the night for many music lovers: the Grammys! Every year, the Grammys generate alot of talk. Did you see his face when she was performing? She wore what? Pretty sure he was drunk, or high, or both …. Somebody needs to make insert-poptart-du-jour-here put on a sweater. Why does everyone seem to love that shitty song? They can’t even sing! Was that a mistake, or did he actually mean to do that? Yeah, thought so, mistake. And, of course, somewhere in the middle of it all, we should all feel really, really, really bad about not buying music, and music in schools is going to save us all.
Then, there’s the chance to see musicians who wouldn’t normally collaborate, joining each other in some very fine performances. Last year’s tribute to Levon Helm by a dazzling collection of old and new artists was my favourite Grammy moment, ever. My apologies for the quality of that video; it was the best I could find. I’m still waiting for what I know would be delicious: a joint project by Mavis Staples and Brittany Howard. Somebody, somewhere, make it happen! Anyway. Tonight, Ryan and I will be watching it all from our basement futon, on our little old hard-working box. (Yes, the one he had when I met him. We’re such dinosaurs.)
I recently put together my own year-end chart. It’s my Top 40 of 2013. I presented it to Ryan, who dutifully (and, I might add, enthusiastically) listened to every song. Even the ones that I should only be enjoying in a darkened, sound-proof room, and should never share with anyone. But, since I am a Beth of very little shame, and this is – after all – BethBlog, I am going to share them with you. Complete with YouTube links for the top 10, for your listening and viewing pleasure! Or not …. 😉
If you’re a purist, you will probably develop an eye twitch over my Top 40, because it includes a small number of songs that came out in 2012. However, if they were still on the charts, and played all over the radio, during 2013, they’re eligible for this list. My methodology is as follows: did I love this song and crank it every time I heard it in 2013? Then it can be on my chart. You probably also pay more than $10 for a bottle of wine, and use measuring tape to hang your pictures. You might even own a smoking jacket. Yay, you! You’re free to make your own chart, and feature it on your own blog.
Details and asides aside, here we go ….
40. “Do What U Want” by Lady Gaga & R. Kelly
39. “Crash My Party” by Luke Bryan
38. “Stompa” by Serena Ryder
37. “The Dog is Mine” by k-os
36. “Let Her Go” by Passenger
35. “It’s A Beautiful Day” by Michael Buble
34. “Blowin’ Smoke” by Kacey Musgraves
33. “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars
32. “Cups” by Anna Kendrick
31. “Don’t Ya” by Brett Eldredge
30. “Devil’s Got a Gun” by Whitehorse
29. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift
28. “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke
27. “Come and Get It” by Selena Gomez
26. “Scream and Shout” by will.i.am. & Britney Spears
25. “Brighter Than Gold” by The Cat Empire
24. “Stutter” by Marianas Trench
23. “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk
22. “Mama’s Broken Heart” by Miranda Lambert
21. “Gone Gone Gone” by Phillip Phillips
20. “Suit And Tie” by Justin Timberlake
19. “Some Nighs” by fun.
18. “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
17. “Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus
16. “Highway Don’t Care” by Tim McGraw & Taylor Swift
15. “Carry On” by fun.
14. “No Good Woman” by Elise Legrow
13. “I Love It” by Icona Pop & Charli XCX
12. “Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker
11. “The Monster” by Eminem & Rihanna
* Note the absence of anyone wearing the sad combination of thick-framed glasses, a plaid shirt and an overgrown beard.